In the present three - tier administrative system Mugberia is under Purba Medinipur Zilla Parisad, Bhagwanpur-II Panchyat Samity and Mugberia Gram Panchyat. In 1967 Mugberia was officially declared as the Legislative Assembly Constituency, again in 2011 the name of the Constituency changed into Bhagwanpur. The whole area of Mugberia Gram Panchyat and its adjacent areas are known as Mugberia through popular use, though strangely enough, there is no village called Mugberia as such. Only a combination of three villages of Suadighi, Kesaidighi and Khanjadapur is commonly called Mugberia centering around a little bit of land of 5 cottas in the village of Suadighi, where the goddess Mugeswari has her shrine. The very name of Mugberia owes its origin to the deity Mugeswari who basically a woodland - deity, having been discovered, as it is believed in the process of clearing the forest area for agriculture and habitation. Originally this was a large boggy-area of lower Bengal, infested with wild beasts and snakes, which was made habitable at the time of zamindar Bholanath Nanda (1819 to 1873) of the renowned Nanda dynasty which reached its culmination in the days of Raisaheb Gangadhar Nanda, an illustrious generous personality of culture and love of learning.
Mugberia is a place with a glorious historical past. Connected by rivers and canals with the sea, the area developed as a sea-port business centre in the 17th century, where the Portuguese made business transactions. In 1635, the famous Portuguese traveler Sobastian Manric came to the adjacent village Bayenda, then known as Bayenza. In the 12th and 13th centuries, the area underwent massive cultural developments with temples and architectural landmarks being constructed, the remnants of which are still discovered under the soil of Bayenda and adjacent villages in the form of broken earthen vessels, metal show-pieces, thin bricks, and so on.
A place of historical antiquity, Mugberia emerged as the seat of culture and learning in the days of Bengal renaissance. In 1960-61 a Sanskrit Grammar School (Chatuspathy) had been established by zamindar Bholanath Nanda and the said school had later been promoted and renamed Bholanath Sanaskrit Mahavidyalaya under the patronage of the Government of India. Mugberia has always been a seat of classical learning fostered by the Nandas, Sarangis, Tripathies, Hotas and Dwibedies, who had their original roots in Odisha. The cultural and educational enhancement reached the apex at the hands of Bholanaths worthy sons Gobinda, Digambar and Gangadhar. A man of patriotic fervor, Digambar brought young Kshudiram Bose to Mugberia for secret revolutionary organizations and rallies. The profound Sanskrit scholar that he was with the title Vidyanidhi, he wrote a book of verse Kalikusumabali and established a Middle English School at his residence in 1883 being impelled by the spread of English education in the renaissance days. Most progressive, imaginative and generous was Gangadhar Nanda who may be called the architect of modern Mugberia for his endeavours for establishing a number of institutions for educational, economic and cultural enhancement of the area. High schools, co - operative bank, library, charitable dispensary, vocational centre for carpentry, smithy, weaving, gardening, press for printing and publication, post office, dharmasala theatre, temples were all constructed though his unending work .
Mugberia Gangadhar Mahavidyalaya was established in 1964 by the people of the locality in the memory of this visionary man. His grandson Pandit Jyotirmoy Nanda was a saintly person with proverbial erudition in Sanskrit, always preaching the ideals of character-making, love, fellow-feeling and tolerance of caste, creed and colour. His worthy son Kiranmoy Nanda served people as MIC, Dept. of Fisheries, Government of West Bengal from 1982 to 2010 and as the local MLA and worked sincerely for the overall progress and development of Mugberia. For his keen interest in all-round development of human beings, he intended to introduce physical education in Mugberia Gangadhar Mahavidyalaya as he was the then president of the college governing body. In the year 1999, physical education was introduced at the B.A./B.Sc. level as an elective subject (PEDG) in this college. In the year 2002, B.P.Ed was introduced in Mugberia Gangadhar Mahavidyalaya.
Though not a municipality, the present Mugberia bears the rich legacy ever enriching and widening the interests in different fields of learning, art, culture and economy. A great many number of professors, doctors, engineers, officers, artists, writers and politicians who have their roots High Secondary, High and Junior High schools in this area. There is only one college for higher education and one Sanskrit Mahavidyalaya.
The Teachers Training Section (B. P. Ed.) with the capacity of 50 seats was introduced in the year 2002 and obtained NCTE recognition in 2007. The Department has already produced eleven batches of B. P. Ed. professionals under Vidyasagar University, West Bengal and out of these professionals a good number have already been absorbed by the Central School Service Commission, West Bengal, a few as lecturers in Physical Education and some are engaged in research activities after their completion of Master of Physical Education.
In 2014, the department has obtained the NCTE recognition for introducing the Master of Physical Education (M. P.Ed.) Course with 40 seats. The college has already started M. P. Ed. under the affiliation of the Vidyasagar University.
The department has thirteen faculty members. Out of them six have been awarded with Ph.D. degree. One is member of Board of Studies in both Vidyasagar University and University of Kalyani, West Bengal. Another faculty is member of Board of Studies in University of Calcutta and Burdwan University. The department regularly publishes the proceedings of national seminars and a regular journal of international standard with an ISSN number.
The Department has already held a number of important occasions in the course of physical education and sports, such as Seminar on Present and Future of Physical Education and its Problems and Prospects on 31.01.2004, Seminar on Biological Need for Physical Activities in the Age of Automation and Cyber Culture on 04.12.2004, National Seminar on Physical Education for Health Care and Sports Performance during 25 to 26 March 2006, National Seminar on Physical Education for Quality of Life during 22 to 23 August 2009, National Seminar on Physical Education for Fitness Health and Well Being during 29 to 30 August 2011 and National Seminar on Socioeconomic and Socio - cultural Perspectives of Physical Education during 10 to 11 May 2013.
The VI, VII & VII Inter Non Government College Athletic Meet and Foot Ball Championship was arranged by the department in 2005, 2006 and 2007 respectively. In 2010, the department had organized the Inter institutional Cultural Exchange Programme and Athletic Meet of the WBCIPE (WBCIPE Meet - 2010) where about 1050 students (B.P.Ed & M.P.Ed), 100 teachers, 50 ex-teachers, 100 officials and 15 officers had participated. In 2011, from 7 to 11 July the department had organized an International Accreditation Training Course of ISAK (International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry).
Apart from these, various research projects have been undertaken by the faculty members of the department.
The department used to organize Annual Outdoor Camp for B. P. Ed students as a part of the curriculum. The department also offers the Gymnasium to the local persons to encourage fitness practice.